Job Title: Java Developer
Type: Fixed Term Contractor/Freelance Full Time
Location: Unit 60 The Runnings Cheltenham
Closing date for applications: 16.04.2021
Hours: Fixed Term Contractor/Freelance Full Time - 37.5hrs
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
Our in-house ecommerce team design, develop, test, support and maintain all of our websites, and are responsible for keeping them fresh and updated with the most cutting edge functionality, to give the very best user experience. These roles, sitting within our web development team, will play a key role in the delivery of new websites, improvements to usability, and crucial back end systems.
The successful candidate will join us for 6 months and be expected to contribute to the existing and future development of our ecommerce platforms by providing high quality development and recommendations for improvements, working collaboratively with colleagues across the Digital function. The roles will suit candidates with solid experience in Java and Node development, who are passionate to make a difference and become a part of a team supporting a truly global business.
- Work as a hands-on developer to develop new features and functionality for the internal back end ecommerce systems, specifically our internal suite of bespoke applications, programming in Java and Node
- Maintain existing features and functionality, ensuring that the implementation of new development or updates do not affect the smooth running of any of the peripheral systems
- Work with architects to ensure the solution is sitting in line with their recommendations and the technical strategy.
- Work closely with the Test & Support team, responding to feedback and requests for changes, reworking the development to ensure any issues are dealt with and improvements made, including troubleshooting and resolving issues as quickly as possible
- Manage own workload and designing, planning and prioritizing tasks effectively
- Provide appropriate technical support to aid the delivery of projects and releases
- Provide input on improvements to current working practices using experience and judgement
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, proactivity, and strong written and verbal communication skills when dealing with colleagues, partners, suppliers and internal customer
- Highly experienced in working as a Java and Node Developer within a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Experienced and knowledgeable in other technologies and methodologies such as Object Oriented development, Agile, J2EE and higher, Amazon Web Services (EC2, Lambdas, SQS, …), SQL (MySQL, Hsql), Hibernate, JBoss/Wildfly and JUnit
- Test Driven Development (TDD), Spring and Angular is also desirable.
- Able to investigate and analyse technical issues and draw the right conclusions
- Capable of communicating technical guidance and instruction to users and the wider business
- Familiar with the development life cycle and able to work collaboratively with other teams
- Able to quickly pick up and work with new technologies
- Able to learn quickly from more senior members of the team and help to develop more junior colleagues, promoting a team environment and instilling team spirit.
- Able to work under pressure and change direction with very little notice
- Familiar with retail and ecommerce terminology
- Based within easy commuting distance of Cheltenham or willing to relocate for the role
Working for Superdry has never been so rewarding…
- Everyone receives a generous salary, pension contributions, life assurance
- 25 days holiday plus an extra day to celebrate your birthday
- Unrivalled range of Learning & Development programmes
- Eligibility to join our Share Save initiatives
- Amazing staff discount, 50% online and in store, plus an on-site staff shop and subsidised cafe
- A range of team and company-wide social events
- Discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, wellbeing services and much, much more
At Superdry, everyone has a voice and we want to hear it. We create environments where individuality can flourish and is celebrated as part of who we are as a brand. We’re incredibly proud that over 90% of our people feel strongly that they can be themselves when they are at work. We obviously feel their voices speak volumes.
We want to meet people with varied backgrounds because we understand that diversity of thought encourages new ideas to thrive, fuelling creativity and enabling us to do better work. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, styles, perspectives and skills; we hire people based on their merit and potential.
We also welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Superdry and will always accommodate it where possible.
Superdry have been making world class product for 15 years, and we’re proud of it. Our mission is to inspire and engage the contemporary style obsessed consumer, whilst leaving a positive environmental legacy.
Together, we have built a brand that has cut through the global apparel market at record speed, taking market share from brands that have existed for decades. But we have a big opportunity ahead of us as we launch 4 new collections.
We are now on an exciting journey to reset our brand and return to our design-led roots and we are looking for talented people to join us on our journey.
Download job description Apply