Location: Unit 60 The Runnings Cheltenham
Closing date for applications: 24.05.22
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
An exciting opportunity has arisen for brand-focussed Trade Mark Attorney to join Superdry’s highly-regarded in-house legal team. The legal team at Superdry sits at the heart of the business and works in close, trusted partnership with a number of key business decision-makers. We are proud to be a diverse team of professionals who embrace new and different ways of thinking, learning and engaging. Our team plays a pivotal and highly-visible role in empowering and supporting Superdry to deliver success.
We are looking for a passionate, engaging, delivery-focussed person to help to drive our business-wide IP strategy. Working in close partnership with our brand, marketing, digital and creative teams – as well as external partners around the world – the role covers a broad remit embracing the way in which Superdry protects, enhances and monetises its intellectual property.
The role will report into our Global Brand Protection and IP Lead and will primarily be based at Superdry’s Head Office in Cheltenham. However, Superdry embraces agile working so while it’s important for the successful candidate to be close to the team and business partners, some flexibility will be possible.
- Work as an integral part of the IP & Brand Protection team to execute the global IP/BP Strategy, and provide input to shape the strategy according to evolving business needs, risks and priorities
- Communicate with key stakeholders across the business to understand our business priorities and advise how best to protect every aspect of our intellectual property – especially trade marks and designs
- Work with our formalities and paralegal team to prepare and file trade mark and design applications
- Work closely with our brand protection team on enforcement strategy and priorities
- Consider and advise on watch notices and oppositions strategy on a global basis
- Work with external counsel to manage all of Superdry’s trade mark opposition actions
- Prepare and draft UK and EU oppositions and/or cancellation actions and all accompanying documentation including statements of case and witness evidence
- Conduct proactive investigations to identify potential infringements of our IP and manage enforcement action accordingly
- Assist with litigation strategy, including instructing external investigators and counsel
- Collaborate closely with the Design team, forging strong working partnerships and providing regular IP guidance and product clearance.
- Advise the business on IP risks and where appropriate propose solutions to overcome such risks
- File UDRP actions against infringing domains
- Present data and insight to key business stakeholders
- Manage external counsel relationships in a cost effective way
- Conduct regular industry-wide research and attend networking events, to stay ahead of emerging trends/threats and adapt IP strategy accordingly
- Preferably a qualified chartered UK trade mark attorney with an excellent academic record. For the right candidate, we will consider other applicants with an IP background with differing levels of experience
- From an in-house or private practice background with an instinctive commercial approach to trade mark law and procedure both in the UK and the EU
- Confident of dealing with external counsel on a global basis
- Able to work effectively with technology (such as IPPO (webTMS) and Trademark Now), but also competent at reviewing and assessing the benefits of new tech solutions and assimilating and presenting data in an effective and engaging way
- Able to work autonomously and make independent decisions
- A strong and clear communicator who is able to build rapport with key stakeholders internally and externally
- Someone with excellent presentation skills
- Computer literate, particularly with MS Office
- Someone with excellent deadline management and organisation skills
- Able to produce written work to an excellent standard with a high attention to detail
- Able to grasp how your decisions and the IP strategy impacts on the rest of the business
- Interested in fashion or retail and be confident conveying practical and meaningful advice to designers and creatives
Working for Superdry has never been so rewarding…
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays, and an additional day off to celebrate your Birthday. We also offer a holiday buying scheme.
- Family is massively important to us, so we have a broad range of family-friendly working policies in place, including enhanced maternity, paternity, and adoption leave
- Company Pension scheme
- All employees are covered by our Life Assurance policy whilst working at Superdry. We feel it’s important to offer protection for your family and loved ones in such a situation and to support this we offer life assurance cover which pays a lump sum equivalent either twice or four times your annual salary
- A big staff discount – naturally. Because we know that you love to wear Superdry, you’ll benefit from a 50% discount in store and online and our Head Office is home to our very own store for staff only where you can treat yourself to heavily discounted sample stock
- A health cash plan is open to all employees.
- Private Medical cover - a taxable benefit, which managers are eligible to opt in to
- Flexible working - to help you achieve that all-important work-life balance
- We want you to share in our success and so we have a choice of Share Save schemes you can opt into
- A global employee assistance plan in place that you can access anytime you want - it’s free and confidential
- You’ll also have access to a Cycle To Work Scheme and an excellent Car contract hire/purchase scheme along with a massive range of local discounts with businesses across Gloucestershire
At Superdry, everyone has a voice and we want to hear it. We create environments where individuality can flourish and is celebrated as part of who we are as a brand. We’re incredibly proud that over 90% of our people feel strongly that they can be themselves at work.
We want to meet people with varied backgrounds because we understand that diversity of thought encourages new ideas to thrive, fuelling creativity and enabling us to do better work. We want to build a team which represents a variety of backgrounds, styles, perspectives, and skills; we hire people based on their merit and potential.
We also welcome conversations about flexible working for all roles at Superdry and will always accommodate it where possible.
Please also have a look at our career website. Here you can find information about the Growing Futures Programme, a scheme that supports applicants from ethnic minority backgrounds to apply for roles at our HO in Cheltenham.
Who we are
Superdry have been making world class product for 15 years, and we’re proud of it. Our mission is to inspire and engage the contemporary style obsessed consumer, whilst leaving a positive environmental legacy.
Together, we have built a brand that has cut through the global apparel market at record speed, taking market share from brands that have existed for decades. But we have a big opportunity ahead of us as we launch 4 new collections.
We are now on an exciting journey to reset our brand and return to our design-led roots and we are looking for talented people to join us on our journey.Download job description Apply
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.Back to search