Job Title: Senior Legal Counsel
Location: Cheltenham, GL51 9NW, United Kingdom
Post date: 2019-02-13
Close date: 2019-02-27
Closing date for applications: 27-02-2019
Hours: FULL_TIME Full Time - 37.5hrs
Organisation: Superdry https://careers.superdry.com/img/g4j_logo_2.jpg
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
Superdry is a genuine British success story that has grown to an annual turnover of £872m, with our brand already worth £1.6bn in total global consumer sales. We are a multichannel operator with well-developed and highly successful retail, ecommerce, wholesale and franchise businesses and customers in virtually every country in the world. We are well on our way to achieving our goal of becoming a global digital brand.
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for an experienced commercial lawyer to join Superdry’s highly-regarded in-house legal team at their Cheltenham head office. The legal team at Superdry plays a pivotal role in empowering and supporting every aspect of the business to fulfil its potential. The team’s motto is “Enabling Creativation” and it works in close, trusted partnership with a number of key business decision-makers.
Working as a leader and an integral part of the team, we are looking for a practical, forward-thinking commercial lawyer to drive innovation and unlock the potential of junior members in the team. Fundamental to the role will be an ability to solve practical problems and to build and maintain strong relationships with a number of key partners and stakeholders on the operational sides of our business.
- Be responsible for managing a small, capable team while also playing a vital role in the leadership, direction and ethos of the team.
- Manage a budget and, where required, the instruction of external counsel and other service providers.
- Have day to day responsibility for managing key relationships with business stakeholders around the world.
- Support the growth of Superdry’s global wholesale business by advising on international franchise, distribution and agency agreements.
- Support the growth of Superdry’s licensing business by advising on product licence agreements.
- Work with the property and retail teams supporting our global retail estate.
- Work with the marketing team on the formulation and activation of sponsorship agreements and ambassador and influencer contracts.
- Advise the business on procurement and non-stock supply agreements, such as IT and outsourcing deals.
- Provide advice and support on corporate transactions, including M&A deals, JV agreements and intragroup re-structuring arrangements.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations including data protection and consumer law (such as pricing, promotions, labelling and advertising).
- Manage commercial litigation.
- Drive process improvements across the team.
- A solicitor qualified to practice in England and Wales with a least 6 years’ of post-qualification experience (although all exceptional candidates will be considered).
- Commercially-minded, with an understanding of business operations, commerce and finance.
- Technically capable with deep knowledge of the laws, regulations and processes which govern the key operative aspects of retail and consumer-led businesses.
- Ideally experienced in working in a relevant in-house environment.
- Meticulous and take personal pride in your work, instilling this approach throughout your team, striving to run a team that produces high quality work.
- An experienced and successful leader of people, with the ability to motivate, drive, guide, develop and shape your team and your peers.
- A strong communicator able to present confidently to senior level decision makers.
- A highly organised, diligent person with exceptional attention to detail.
- A team player able to work effectively and collaboratively with the whole team.
- Passionate, driven, high energy, resilient, and have an approach that embraces change, and an unflappable nature that helps you stay calm and functioning in challenging times.
- Located within daily commuting distance of our Cheltenham head office, or prepared to relocate.
Working for Superdry has never been so rewarding, the package includes...
- A generous salary, pension contributions, life assurance and 25 days holiday
- Bonus potenial and car allowance
- Eligibility for our private medical insurance scheme
- Eligibility to join our Share Save initiatives
- An unrivalled range of Learning & Development programmes
- A range of team and company-wide social events
- Amazing 50% staff discount, online and in store, plus an on-site staff shop and subsidised Starbucks cafe
- Discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, wellbeing services and much, much more