Job Title: Group Financial Controller
Location: Cheltenham, GL51 9NW, United Kingdom
Post date: 2018-11-21
Close date: 2018-12-21
Closing date for applications: 21-12-2018
Hours: FULL_TIME Full Time - 37.5hrs
Organisation: Superdry https://careers.superdry.com/img/g4j_logo_2.jpg
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
The Superdry brand is a genuine British success story that has grown to a turnover of £870m, £97m profit and a strategic plan in place that will make us a £1bn company by 2020. We are a multichannel operator with well-developed and highly successful retail, ecommerce, wholesale and franchise businesses and customers in virtually every country in the world. We are well on our way to achieving our goal of becoming a global digital brand.
Superdry’s incredible growth in recent years means that we are now a substantial global organisation with over 20 businesses operating in multiple countries on three different continents. The financial arrangements that underpin this structure are naturally complex and require expert stewardship in order to ensure that we deliver absolute integrity in our financial position, internally and to investors and are fully compliant with all relevant financial regulations. The role of Group Financial Controller is pivotal in this, as it leads the critical business areas of financial accounting and reporting, management accounting, tax, treasury, transactional finance (accounts payable and receivable) and external audit.
We are seeking to appoint a highly experienced, knowledgeable and charismatic leader. This role will report into our newly appointed Chief Financial Officer and will guide Superdry through the next stage of our financial development. The successful candidate will be an ACA qualified chartered accountant with clear CFO potential and extensive experience in both practice and industry, and the leadership skills to operate effectively at the highest levels and develop a talented team. Balancing technical accuracy, commerciality and efficiency through personal leadership and the development of central and local finance teams, the Group Financial Controller role provides the foundation of financial integrity upon which Superdry’s business decisions are based and reputation is built.
- Ensure that half year and full year financial accounts for 20+ businesses across multiple countries and regulatory frameworks are produced on time, providing absolute confidence to the City and investors that our reported financial position is completely accurate.
- Ensure that Superdry’s reporting practices are fit for purpose; that the processes and systems that underpin them operate quickly, robustly and accurately, and that processes and systems are continually developed forward to allow improved reporting.
- Lead through example Superdry’s financial accounting and reporting, management accounting, tax, treasury and transactional finance functions, directly line managing the senior management team across these areas and providing overall control and direction for the function.
- Operate as a key member of the senior leadership cadre of the business and finance. Working closely and effectively with the CFO and Heads of Commercial Finance and Forecasting, Planning & Reporting to drive the department forward and improve overall business performance.
- Lead the external audit process and key relationships with external auditors.
- Manage Superdry’s cash resources effectively and efficiently, maximising revenue whilst retaining financial flexibility.
- Execute Superdry’s existing Treasury and Tax policies while seeking opportunities to enhance shareholder value within the spirit of Superdry’s stated position.
- Act as the primary relationship holder with Superdry’s banks and tax authorities.
- Enhance the financial controls across the organisation for accuracy and efficiency, ensuring all roles and processes are adequately documented, controlled and segregated as appropriate.
- Maintain and develop the fixed asset register.
- Simplify Superdry’s structure and reporting lines.
- Get involved, as part of the broader finance leadership team, in periodic reviews of existing or new business opportunities.
- Ensure new business opportunities are fully evaluated in terms of their financial and taxation implications.
- Drive professionalism into the way financial information is collected, controlled and reviewed.
- Continue the development of a robust and appropriate accounting and control framework.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the CODA financial system, working with the vendor and internal specialists to drive optimal performance.
- A fully ACA qualified chartered accountant
- Likely to have started your career working for a professional international accounting and audit firm – it doesn’t necessarily need to be one of the “big four” but we do need someone with a substantive background working in practice early in their career.
- Now in a position where you’ll have moved on from there to gain significant experience in industry, working your way up to a senior position such as Financial Controller, Head of Accounting, Head of Finance or similar, ideally within a large multi-national organisation. This experience is critical.
- Experience of working internationally is preferable, as we currently have businesses in over 20 countries and we need someone familiar with this kind of work.
- Experience of working for a plc would be highly advantageous, as would experience of working within the retail or consumer goods sectors, but neither are essential. We’re happy to consider people from different market sectors who meet the criteria.
- Experienced in managing not only management accounting and financial reporting but also tax, treasury, and transactional finance functions such as accounts payable, credit control and banking, and have a strong understanding of how they all work and the challenges they face.
- An extremely strong technical accountant, with a proven ability to oversee the production of flawless monthly, half year and full year management and financial accounts. You will have an incredible eye for detail and the ability to spot errors and inconsistencies in the accounts, and through experience have the know-how to get them fixed.
- Ambitious, driven, highly professional, pragmatic and a credible finance professional looking to make a difference in an exciting growing international organisation.
- Meticulous and take personal pride in your work, instilling this approach throughout your teams, striving to run a department that produces high quality work.
- An experienced and successful leader of people, with the ability to motivate, drive, guide, develop and shape a diverse team of people into a well-run, energetic and high achieving function. You’ll lead by example, want to be hands-on and take your teams with you, and care deeply about both their performance and well-being.
- Interpersonally strong at all levels. You will have presence, gravitas, credibility, charisma and the ability to engage effortlessly and confidently with senior leaders, and be comfortable in communicating complex financial information in a way that is easy for non-financial people to understand.
- Passionate, driven, high energy, resilient, and have an approach that embraces change, and an unflappable nature that helps you stay calm and functioning in challenging times.
- Located within daily commuting distance of our Cheltenham head office, or prepared to relocate.
Working for Superdry has never been so rewarding…
- This position offers a very generous base salary, car allowance, and bonus opportunity up to 50%
- In addition you will receive enhanced pension contributions, life assurance and private medical cover
- Holiday allowance of 25 days
- Range of great Share Scheme initiatives
- 50% online and in store staff discount, plus an on-site staff shop and subsidised Cafe
- Unrivalled range of Learning & Development programmes through the Superdry Academy
- Discounted gym membership, cycle to work scheme, wellbeing services and much, much more
Download job description Apply