Job Title: Internal Auditor
Closing date for applications: 04-08-2017
Hours: Full Time - 37.5hrs
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
Superdry is a genuine British success story, building a global turnover of £590m across our retail, ecommerce, franchise and wholesale channels, with strategic plans well underway to achieve significant growth over the coming years. Although our incredible success has been built on a truly multichannel approach, our retail stores remain the beating heart of our business and our most visible sales channel. We now operate nearly 250 owned stores across the UK, Europe, the USA and China, with an ambitious store opening programme delivering more retail space month-on-month.
The Superdry brand has grown up pushing the boundaries, and the challenge for Internal Audit is to support this philosophy without compromising the integrity of the function. As the business grows – both in revenue and geography – new challenges arise, and the importance of maintaining the right structure, processes and culture increases. This role represents the first step in the transition of Internal Audit from an external to an internal function, and presents a fantastic opportunity for the right candidate to progress.
Reporting to the Risk & Assurance Manager, and working closely with our third party Auditors, you will be responsible for providing independent assessment on the effectiveness of internal controls, risk management and governance processes globally. You will also work with the Risk & Assurance Manager, CFO and Audit Committee to set the annual Internal Audit Plan, define and review the ‘Audit Universe’.
The role is available on a full time or a part time basis (minimum 24 hours per week), with a flexibility around working days and hours that would suit an individual looking to balance a flagship role with external responsibilities. We’re looking for a qualified accountant with previous internal audit experience.
- Establish the methodology for the SuperGroup Internal Audit function.
- Work with Heads of Department across the business to establish an Audit calendar and schedule to ensure each department is audited on a cyclical basis, with the most critical departments being audited more frequently.
- Work autonomously to execute planned audits, including preparation and agreement of the audit scope, managing delivery of the fieldwork within the agreed timeframe, and agreeing findings with Heads of Department.
- Support the third party Auditors in preparation of audit scopes, delivery of fieldwork and agreement of audit recommendations.
- Track progress of all recommendations, collecting adequate and appropriate evidence to facilitate closure within the allotted timeframe.
- Provide input to Executive, Board and Audit Committee reports as required.
- Undertake risk based ad-hoc investigations as required by the Risk & Assurance Manager.
- Co-ordinate and conduct investigations into whistle blowing cases and breaches of policy.
- Over time, plan and execute the transition from an external to a fully in house Internal Audit function, slowly phasing out the use of third party Internal Auditors. During this transition, build a small team of qualified, experienced and capable Internal Auditors around you.
- A qualified accountant with an ACA, ACCA or CIMA or equivalent qualification. We may also consider part-qualified candidates with the relevant professional experience.
- Equipped with post qualification experience in an Internal Audit role. This is essential, although we are flexible about the amount and type of experience you have.
- Ideally experienced within the retail sector and/or a FTSE listed business, though we will consider suitably experienced applicants from other industries and non-plc companies.
- Able to build strong relationships across all areas of the business and with the third party Internal Auditors, able to influence senior stakeholders and present sometimes difficult messages in a positive way.
- Able to present, justify and defend independent views at senior management level.
- Ability to identify thematic weaknesses from audit findings.
- Able to translate audit findings into clearly defined actions, and communicate these actions clearly to stakeholders.
- An excellent written and verbal communicator with very strong attention to detail.
- Able to work autonomously and independently without requiring constant guidance.
- Able to fulfil a corporate-type role in a company with a non-corporate ethos and style. Our culture is entrepreneurial, informal and relaxed, with a strong tendency towards fast pace and frequent change, and it’s vital that you are comfortable with working in this environment. If you prefer a culture that is highly structured with a corporate feel, this may not be the right opportunity for you.
- Based within easy commuting distance of Cheltenham, or able to relocate.
What We Offer
- Excellent basic salary, pension, medical, life insurance, 50% staff discount
Download job description Apply Send to a friend