Job Title: Technical Manager- Garment Technology
Closing date for applications: 03-03-2017
Hours: Full Time - 37.5hrs
Please note that some jobs may be closed earlier than the published closing date if we get a high volume of applications. We therefore advise that you complete your application at your earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
The Superdry brand is a genuine British success story that has grown to a turnover of £590m, £72m profit and a strategic plan in place that will make us a £1bn company by 2020. We are a multichannel operator with well-developed and highly successful retail, ecommerce, wholesale and franchise businesses and customers in virtually every country in the world. We are well on our way to achieving our goal of becoming a global lifestyle brand.
We manufacture our products through a wide range of factory suppliers, based chiefly in Turkey, India and China, and as a major part of our success is driven by our unrelenting dedication to producing products of exceptional quality, it is vital that our quality control processes are second to none. We are seeking a new Technical Manager to manage one of our UK based quality assurance teams and ensure that we continue to deliver amazing quality product. We are looking for an experienced multi-product Technical Manager from within the Garment Technology function for a major fashion brand.
- Lead a team of talented Garment Technologists, working across multiple product categories, providing high quality technical coaching and exceptional people leadership.
- Deliver products engineered for original design, cost, great fit and premium quality, meeting all Superdry standards and critical path timelines.
- Ensure brand DNA and standards, fit blocks and grading are maintained across the department and all suppliers.
- Provide an expert understanding of product construction, fabrics, pattern cutting, fit development, print techniques, washes, stitching, production processes and minimum make standards, across all core and specialist product areas.
- Work with design, sourcing and retail to coordinate and gain agreement of colour standards, fabric bases and blocks, ensuring colour and fabric tolerances are agreed early in the process by all stakeholders.
- Ensure the team risk assess all product, raise concerns and issues that may cause delays, and collectively address issues quickly by presenting relevant information, with a clear picture of the issues and their consequences, resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Drive critical path events with the Garment Tech team, Merchandising and suppliers to maintain agreed dates, and ensuring all approval processes are completed within the required SLA times.
- Formulate and deliver the department sections of the Supplier Manual.
- Oversee supplier visits to maximise their impact, ensuring key stakeholders are bought in to resolve issues. Ensure the team have visited suppliers to support approvals, gain an understanding of factory capability and drive risk assessment of suppliers.
- Ensure suppliers are accountable for their product development, quality and product delivery and challenge suppliers to improve performance, communication and ways of working.
- Monitor the use of fit models and ensure model time is effectively utilised.
- Drive team performance and development, creating an environment where sharing knowledge is encouraged and expected. Ensure that we have the right balance of multi-skilled resource to achieve department deliverables.
- Ensure the team have researched and monitored our product, through store visits, wearer trials, size sets, fit reviews and store feedback, proactively taking long and short term action.
- A highly experienced garment technician with extensive practical experience of product construction, grading, fabrics, pattern cutting, fit development, print techniques, washes, stitching, production processes and minimum make standards.
- Experienced in a broad range of product types across both mens and womenswear, for example outerwear, jersey, wovens, shirting, denim or leathers. Additional experience with technical products such as snow/ski, sport and cycle would be highly advantageous.
- Equipped with sufficient technical knowledge to quickly be able to turn your hand to new product types and categories, easily understanding all key technical aspects and issues.
- An experienced leader of people with previous experience at Technical Manager level, and the capability and experience to lead, manage, coach, develop and inspire a team.
- An excellent technical coach with the ability to teach new skills and techniques to experienced Garment Technologists.
- Highly driven with an exceptional work ethic, able to work at pace and embrace change in a busy environment, coping effectively with the need to manage many and varied product lines and high demand in terms of output.
- A decisive type of character with the ability to make confident, well founded decisions quickly and effectively.
- An experienced supplier manager, used to working with multiple suppliers in territories such as India, China and Turkey, and able to develop strong lines of communication with them.
- Experienced in working with overseas production offices, helping the local managers to develop the skills and capabilities within their teams.
- Able to fully understand the department strategy set out by the Head of Garment Technology, and drive the strategic objectives on a daily basis through your team.
- A strong relationship builder and communicator, with gravitas, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to engage colleagues and suppliers at all levels.
- Strong personal skills on a face-to-face basis, also with good written communication skills.
- Flexible and willing to learn and keep up to date with the latest developments in technology.
- Based within easy commuting distance of Cheltenham, or willing to relocate.
What we offer
- Excellent basic salary, 15% bonus opportunity, car allowance, pension, medical, life insurance, 50% staff discount
Download job description Apply Send to a friend