Superdry have gone from strength to strength in recent years, and our 2015 annual report is testament to how well we are doing as a business. Here are some highlights:
- Turnover £486.6 million, up 12.9% on the previous year. Turnover has gone up every year for the last five years, and has risen 349% from our 2010 turnover of £139.4 million.
- Retail sales were up 17.% for the year, with like-for-like sales up 4.8%. Wholesale sales also grew again, by 4% to £152.5m. Ecommerce sales rose by an incredible 40% over this financial year.
- Underlying profit before tax for the year was £63.2 million, up 2% on the previous year.
- Over 50% of sales now come from outside the UK & Ireland.
- Furthermore, our trading update for the first half of the 2016 financial year, issued on November 5th 2015, showed further incremental growth over the msot recent six month period. The update said "Group revenues for H1 2016 have increased by 22.4% to £254.9m, reflecting positive growth in existing Retail and Wholesale channels and a healthy new store pipeline. Positive sales momentum continued in the period, particularly within e-commerce, delivering Retail like-for-like growth of 15.5% during the quarter. This follows Retail like-for-like sales growth of 20.3% reported for the first 10 weeks of the year." Follow this link to see the full update: https://www.supergroup.co.uk/rns/h1-2016-trading-update/
Following the appointment of Euan Sutherland as CEO in October 2014, we have developed and launched a new long-term strategic plan focusing on three key areas - to build a global lifestyle brand; to drive awareness of the breadth of the Superdry range; and to build a broad cross-channel relationship with customers. As our product is at the very heart of what Superdry is all about, we are also focusing hard on our four key product attributes - design detail; quality obsession; innovation; and affordability.
In March 2015, SuperGroup announced the acquisition of our North American business from a former licensee, which immediately gave us an estate of 15 stores and around 250 employees, with revenues of nearly $36m. We have a structured plan in place to drive a substantial expansion plan across the US, Canada and Mexico by 2020. In July 2015 we announced the creation of a joint venture business in China, in partnership with the established Chinese retailer Trendy International, giving us a solid platform for a major entry into the Chinese market.
In another exciting development, Golden Globe winning actor Idris Elba is collaborating with Superdry to design and produce a premium line of clothing which will be sold globally in stores and online, as well as through Wholesale partnerships from Autumn/Winter 2015. This new collaboration is part of our strategy to create a global lifestyle brand, building on the iconic heritage of Superdry to broaden and strengthen customer appeal.
During the next twelve months, we will open over 100,000 square feet of new retail space within owned stores, with an emphasis on European store openings, particularly in Germany but also in Italy, France, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands. We also plan to grow our franchised store estate by around 200 stores globally during the next five years.
We will continue to invest heavily in our infrastructure to support our ever-growing business, and will continue to increase sales and market share by constantly innovating and producing fresh, inspiring and aspirational new products and designs.
Follow this link to view a detailed breakdown of our full five year strategy on our corporate website: https://www.supergroup.co.uk/media/docs/strategy-update-presentation.pdf
You may also like
Life in Head Office
Find out more about what it's like to work at Head Office and our learning and development programme.Find out more
Working in Retail
Find out more about our retail stores and how we work here at Superdry.Find out more
View all of our locations worldwide and search via an interactive map.Search now